How a leach field works
A septic tank, pipes and leach field are the main components of your septic system. To understand how a leach field works, we must first understand how the entire septic system works.
- The waste from the house flows into the septic tank
- The waste begins to break down due to the bacteria present in the septic tank
- Solid waste sinks to the bottom of the tank, while liquid waste floats to the top of the tank to be broken down by bacteria
- The effluent flows into the leach field through the outbound filter, while the solid waste remains in the bottom of the septic tank
- As liquids travel through the pipes of the leach field, they leak into the ground to be naturally filtered by the soil.